Posted on | November 21, 2013 | 10 Comments
Last month when I was at Camp Mighty I identified five goals I’d like to accomplish over the next year. Perhaps the most pressing of these was this:
Turn 35. Not lose my shit.
Listen, I don’t know why birthdays make some of us ladies emotional, but they do. And maybe it’s nonsensical and silly but 35 feels like kind of a big deal. I have to check a whole new age bracket. I’m not with the young people in their twenties anymore. No, now I’m grouped with the fifty year-olds! I have no idea how that happened because I still feel like one of those young twenty year-olds. But the good news is this… I had a really wonderful birthday celebration that extended over several days and was the perfect reminder of how many awesome people I have in my life. One week ago I did turn 35. And I did not lose my shit. I was cool, calm and collected. I looked 35 square in the eyes and I said “bring it on, yo.” Okay, I didn’t really say “yo.”
- Start mentally preparing 3-5 months out. Start saying your 35 long before you are. That way you can get used to the idea gradually. Also you can have a couple of mini-freakout leading up to the big day.
- Have a minimum of three separate birthday celebrations in your honor.
Here are mine:
1) a surprise neighborhood bbq tasting tour planned by my man complete with cards at each stop.
2) a ladies only dinner with closest friends and plenty of margaritas
3) a proper birthday party with all my pals and a disturbing amount of old fashioneds
4) a pre-thanksgiving/late birthday dinner this weekend with my ATL gang
- Don’t look 35. (This is slightly unfair since you don’t get to determine your genes. I got lucky in this department. Thanks mom and dad!)
- Don’t act 35. (See massive and soul crushing hangover following said old fashioneds)
- Be generally happy with where you are in your life. Truthfully, forget everything else I said. We all know this is the only one that matters. I’m a lucky lady with a wonderful life. (and pretty good hair and a nice boot collection). Things are looking pretttttty, prettttty good ’round here. Alright 35, let’s do this thang.